Tuesday, August 7, 2012


Saturday morning I had 2 slices of bread/bagel with peanut butter or butter/jam. Small coffee and cream from Tim Horton's, half of breakfast sandwich. Was very focused on eating healthy during this trip, as I typically use vacation trips as an excuse to eat chips, cookies, choco, and other sweets. Then I feel yucky because of it. I knew I couldn't manage any "weight loss eating", but I just wanted to avoid that heavy, bloated feeling. Two bourbon creme cookies (Indian ones!). Not too tasty but kids were eating cookies and I had a cup of coffee so just felt I had to indulge.

On the road I ate half a big apricot muffin and half of baby's ice cream. Was very tasty but I felt heavy and yucky afterwards.

Alas, lunch was a Mcdonalds crispy chicken sandwich and half a salad. I could have gotten a grilled sandwich but by then my legs were feeling stiff, I wanted something tasty, etc. At least I avoided the fries and choco cookies! A few sips of cola. Avoided eating again until dinner time at the resort. Dinner was amazing - tandoori chicken breast with  pita bread, lettuce, tomato, caesar salad dressing and sriracha hot sauce. First time I made it and it was very yum! Salad to accompany. My sister in law brought fruits so we had cherries and toasted marshmallows for dessert. As per my request she did not bring any sweets. I did not bring any chocolate! Had mango juice, though. Felt good about eating healthy!

Woke up very hungry at 4:00 am. Ate quarter piece of injera bread - phewf! Didn't sleep well.

Sunday morning at the buffet breakfast table I was committed to eating healthy: scrambled eggs, white flour english muffin, butter, two syrup soaked little pancakes, coffee with cream. One bite of my son's boston cream doughnut. One banana. May not sound like a diet meal but I did pass up various chocolate coated, frosted, baked sweet breads and muffins. So hah! Ate less than I wanted to as the kids ran away from the breakfast table and refused to go back. Grrr. Felt resentful as I wanted more egg and bread, etc, but told myself it was okay as I didn't actually need to eat more. As a result I felt light, not heavy, as I usually do when I leave a buffet table. Played at the beach - yippee!

Ate almonds as a snack. Lunch was at a restaurant - blackened halibut fillet, tzatziki sauce, rice, salad bar, pineapple for dessert. Was tasty and I felt good.

Dinner was bisibelebath back at the resort (mashed up lentils, veg, potato, rice - Indian dish). Was pretty bland. Added sriracha sauce, pre-fried onions and salt and it was better. Also ate half a round of injera bread before dinner, as it took so long for dinner to be prepared! Prior to that we also ate a tomato and mozzarella salad with olive oil and pani puri (deep fried hollow balls with tangy water inside - yes, it is as wierd as it sounds). Tried to avoid eating too many pani puri as they are deep fried. Felt reasonably light afterwards.

Good intentions fell by the wayside Monday morning at the buffet breakfast. Passed up the scrambled eggs in favour of two very large pieces of french toast and syrup, served with a sliced up banana and a small sausage. Yummy! Also had to try the scones....oooh they were heavenly!! Apricot and almond essence in them. Perfect moist crumb and light...wowee. Ate one with butter and jam. Coffee with cream too. Wanted more and more...took some back for snack - um, the kids' snack, of course! Too much carbs, I felt, so my body felt heavy afterwards. So hard to pass up delicious tasty heavy foods for foods that are lighter and high in protein. The feeling of heaviness after eating so much dense food was so familiar to me...delicious while on the mouth, then lethargic and bloated and heavy feeling aftewards. How can I achieve the trade off of delicious now vs. yucky feeling later. Alternative is so-so food now and feeling good later. Sigh!

Lunch was v. unhealthy - nachos and goopy cheese on the boat ride (tour of Lake George! whee!), 2 fried chicken tenders and a few french fries. Were in a rush as had to drive back home so no time for proper lunch. Also ate one scone from the am. Was dry and not as heavenly, likely as it was preceded by unhealthy food. Stopped for gas and got a drinkable yoghurt (reasonably healthy but high in sugar), canned fruit salad (ditto). Ate a fried samosa from a truck stop (homemade coriander and tamarind sauce -yum!) then had some Lebanese food for dinner once we got back to town. Chicken shawarma plate. Made a sandwich of shawarma chicken, hummus, salad and pita bread, but then still craved something so stood in kitchen and ate rice, salad and chicken from the container. Mad at hubby so ate 2 choco chip cookies and drank a glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment